It’s a moment you won’t forget; that split second in time when your entire plan and entire life shatters beneath you. Suddenly and without warning, your life goes from planned and organized, to chaotic and out of your control. It can leave you wondering, “What could I have done to have prevented this from happening?”
Extreme sadness, anger and guilt can overtake and engulf your existence. The emotion can be so overwhelming that you wonder whether you will survive — financially, emotionally or otherwise.
What do you do? How do you find the emotional balance to carry on with your job, your relationships and any other activity that is important to you?
Here are some things that I have found to help….
- Accept what you can’t control. It’s happened and you can’t change it back. Instead of continually asking, “Why”, you can take your situation and make the most of it.
- Seek strength. Think positive and think strong. Participate in something where you know you will feel your strength. Turn to your friends and family and lean on them during difficult moments.
- Look ahead. Keep looking forward and think about what you need to do to find resilience and peace.
- Every change or obstacle is an opportunity to learn. Pay attention to the lessons that are offered by your situation.
- Recognize value in your life. The loss of one thing allows for the presence of more. When your life is torn apart, you start to notice the things you didn’t before. With loss, comes a new realization of what is valuable and important.
- Fulfill your desires. You are important. Make time to do what you want to do.
- You will be okay. No matter what challenge comes your way, know that you will be okay. The challenge will make you stronger.
It isn’t easy to regain emotional balance when your world turns upside down. We all respond and recover in different ways.
What are some helpful tips and ideas that you can share to help others find their emotional balance during difficult times?